Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Pre Production Major Project: Auditions Research

I've never constructed an auditions process before, therefore I have looked into the vital tips I need to carry out a successful auditions system. First of all, I need to think of how I'm going to set up the room:


There are important things to remember when setting up the room, one of them being the comfort of the talent performing. This isn't an X-Factor type audition where they need to sing to an audience and being watched by millions of people worldwide.. This project is not on the same scale therefore I can reduce these aspects. The room I will be using will also be quite small so the less props, the better. The picture above shows a room with 5 people (including the auditionee) a couple of mics and a camera. The camera is vital as I want the rest of my team to see who they'll be working with, as well as having the opportunity to watch the auditions again (especially if I'm unsure or stuck between a few for the same role). In terms of people, I would like just Aimee and I in the room as we are in charge of casting, and I believe too many people would distract the talent of performing to their full potential. 

The next bit I've been researching are the different types of auditions, i.e what I want the talent to do. I've come across a few different types, each having pros and cons:

Monologue Audition

Pros - Get to see if they can follow my directions the second time, it's one on one, plus we get to see who has prepared for the audition compared to those who haven't

Cons - Some actors could be very good at preparing the audition due to having the piece beforehand, however they may not be the best at acting

Cold Read Audition

Pros - The actors get to see the script right away, plus we would be able to see who was right for the part directly from the script meaning more likely for success

Cons - This wouldn't be memory based, therefore it would be hard to distinguish who is good at memorising lines and in turn remembering their parts for the project

Improv Based Audition

Pros - Good for group auditions, seeing who works well in a team and who has the creative spark to think on the spot

Cons - May not suit certain actors, and again won't be able to tell if they're good at remembering lines



There are pros and cons for every type of audition, however due to not seeing how good the actors are at memorising lines for the latter two, I have come to the decision that we're going to use monologues as part of our auditions process as I believe this will give us the best idea on how the talent do under the circumstances they'll be in on the actual shoot. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment