Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Major Project: Directing Editing

My role as Director has not ended in the post production stage, the relationship between editor and director is key to making the final piece come together. Luckily for me, I have worked with Chris on many projects so I know exactly what we need to do to create a successful edit with good teamwork. Despite this, I have taken the time to research into the relationship between directors and editors, and I found a very interesting video in which editors are asked about their experiences in working with different directors, and how they need to adapt to each others styles:




It's interesting to see everything from the editors perspective, and how they like to work with directors. Some say they like to have the director in the room so they know exactly what they want, whereas others say they like to have the director to come and go, giving honest opinions after each edit. 

As director, I believe the editor should be given time, space and freedom to work on what they do best. I tell Chris exactly what I want, however also up for listening to different ideas as he is the one who is spending his time cutting it altogether and finding all the fine details. I believe this works well, as we both find things/create ideas that the other did not find/think of, therefore creating a well thought out film with no mistakes and creative ideas. 

Professional editor, Julien Chichignoud, goes on to say in his article "How To Be A Good Director, According to an Editor":

"My favourite part about editing is the relationship with the director. I love it when I come up with something they hadn’t expected, then they tell me how great I am. I also love it when I do something that the director doesn’t like; we argue, and I lose. The idea is, that discussing your ideas and vision with someone else, will either change your view on it, or reinforce the fact that you were right in the first place. In both cases, your film will end up stronger and better for it." (Chichignoud, 2015)

Chichignoud has worked as both a director and editor (editing professionally for 11 years now), so he knows the importance of the relationship between director and editor from both sides. These articles and videos have really opened my eyes to the different aspects of directing an edit.



  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment