Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Major Project: Directors Research

Some directors had their careers launched into the limelight by starting off with short films/television pilots. These people/films are my inspiration for my major project, as I want to become as successful as possible after starting at the bottom (just like they did):

Benh Zeitlin - Glory At Sea (2008)




In 2012, Zeitlin's debut feature Beasts of the Southern Wild swept the festival circuit, winning top prizes at both the Sundance and Cannes film festivals before ultimately picking up four Oscar nominations. Funding for the film wouldn't have been possible, however, had Zeitlin not won an award at South by Southwest in 2008 with the premiere of his precursor short, Glory at Sea.

It is 25 minutes long which is similar to mine, and is the reason why he has made it as a director. He wrote it and had more producers than me, however after analysing the credits, I have noticed that he had the same amount of cast as me as well as using exterior locations. He would not be well known for his latest 2 million dollar feature film if it wasn't for Glory At Sea, that only had a £100k budget.



Stephen Daldry - Eight (1998)




Stephen Daldry is best known for directing the famous film "Billy Elliot" which even went on to become a hit West End musical; however it was his 12 minute long short film "Eight" that got his foot in the door. Daldry said himself that this was a trial run for Billy Elliot, and was his first award in 1999 (a year before Elliot was made).

It is similar to my project in the way that it is based around football as well as realism. I found it very interesting to see how he filmed the football scenes, including the shots and non-diegetic sounds. The part I found most interesting and effective was the use of the non-diegetic voice over, which interchanged with diegetic dialogue. That is an aspect I would consider if my programme wasn't a comedy drama, as this wouldn't suit the generic conventions.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment