Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Pre-Production Major Project: Directors

I love watching films, hence why I have a passion for this project and degree. I like a number of directors including Tim Burton, Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorsese; however there are a couple that really stand out to me due to their distinctive directing styles:


David O. Russell

David O. Russell is a fantastic American director who is known for being very stylised. He's directed recent films like Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle, two films I very much enjoyed due to his unique visual tendencies. His recent films use a lot of handheld camera movement (mainly with Steadicam rigs) which give his films a nice smooth look but with a lot of energy at the same time. He likes to move towards and away from characters while they are talking, one technique I've always liked but never had the confidence to execute. 

Some people argue that his style is very distracting, however I think his smooth movements help the scenes maintain a rhythm and keep me interested. I am definitely going to look into how to execute moving shots like his, as I believe that would suit the theme of our programme.

Another director I admire is Zack Snyder:


Zack Snyder

Snyder is also an American director, however he produces and screen writes too. He is mainly known for action and science fiction films like Watchmen and Man Of Steel, but it's his unique style that catches my eye. I'm a big fan of his use of slow motion, and he uses a technique called "speed ramping"

Speed Ramping is the process of progressively speeding up or slowing down the frame rate in video footage. Snyder uses this with great effect, especially in the action scenes in Man Of Steel. I want to use slow motion in our football scenes as I believe they help create suspense as well as give a dynamic feel on the film. I will use Snyder's techniques as a starting point, as I believe his camera techniques would suit our football scenes. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment